Old Photos Of Beautiful New York Buildings That No Longer Exist

The Gillender Building was completed in the Financial District in 1897, but stood for only 13 years. It was destroyed in 1910 and replaced by a bigger building that combined its neighboring lot.

The City Hall Post Office first opened in 1878. The design was not well received, and it was demolished in 1938, one year ahead of the 1939 World's Fair.

The Singer Building in lower Manhattan was completed in 1908 and served as the headquarters of the Singer Manufacturing Company. It was demolished in 1968.

Steel magnate Charles Schwab built an ornate 75-room mansion on Riverside Drive, which was completed in 1905. It was publicly demolished in 1948.

The John Wolfe Building was built in 1895 in the Financial District. It was demolished in 1974 to widen the street.

The ornate Navarro Flats, a luxury apartment building, were on Central Park South in 1882. In 1926 the building was sold and a number of businesses took its place.

The St. Paul Building opened in 1899 on lower Broadway and was named after the chapel across the street. It was knocked down in 1958.

The original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel opened in 1897, combining the Astor and Waldorf Hotels. It was destroyed in 1929 to make way for the Empire State Building and the hotel moved to 301 Park Ave.

The Savoy-Plaza Hotel was constructed in 1927 on 5th Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets. In 1964 it was torn down.

The Hotel Astor was built in 1904 at Broadway and 44th Street. It was demolished in 1967 and is now occupied by a high rise.

The Exchange Court Building in lower Manhattan was erected in 1898. In 1980 it was converted to a modern office building.

William Kissam Vanderbilt’s “Petit Chateau,” built in 1882, was nearby at 52nd Street and Fifth Avenue. It was demolished to make way for a commercial building in 1926.